Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Life in These Days


In reading an article on relevantmagazine.com that mentioned an experimental journal that passed from person to person, an idea started coming together. On Sunday, that idea was launched.

When I was asked recently about a vision for my church, I responded by saying that I really feel we -- each person who calls Tulip Street 'home' -- need to answer the question, "What does the gospel mean to me?" In answering that question, we can each then bring our piece of the bigger picture into focus. The vision of Tulip Street lies in bringing the Kingdom of Jesus to bear on the lives of those in our community now. How we go about doing that will involve us living out our definitions of the gospel message. From each of these pieces, a mosaic will be formed that will be both beautiful and unique to our church.

How the idea from the article kicks in to this deal is this -- I gave a friend of mine a simple journal with a short word of instruction. He is free to let it all hang out -- joys/rants/scripture/pictures/drawings/quotes/lyrics -- anything goes. When he is finished with his entry, he is to pass it on to any other church member that he is led to. From this traveling journal, I hope to get a sense of what life in these days is like for those I do church with. Ultimately, these journal entries can shape our upcoming messages, and beyond that, help us define our role as individuals and as a body in the Kingdom.

When the last page of the journal is filled, I left a short note to return the journal to me. From there, I hope to post the entries on a blog for our church -- and you all if you're interested -- to share. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: