Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Power of Two


I admit this freely – I am not overly romantic, especially as I ease into middle-age. Because of this, I feel that I neglect Rachelle from time to time, as she doesn’t see expressions of the love that I think (hope?) that she senses.

So, as we were driving through Chattanooga, TN on our way to Florida, I was overcome with emotion as I listened to the Indigo Girls sing of the “Power of Two” and I realized in that moment that I am married to a wonderful woman. Does she make me mad enough to pinch her head off every now and then? You bet, just as I’m sure I push her buttons too. But in Rachelle, I’ve been blessed with a compassionate companion, who takes equally good care of me, our children, our home, and all that those things entail. Along the way, she continues to be, in the words of Ricky Bobby, “my red hot smokin’ wife.”

So, when – not if – I fail to express myself to her romantically, may my friend and lover Rachelle always know that I am blessed to share life with her.

So we’re okay, we’re fine.
Baby I’m here to stop your crying and
Chase all the ghosts from your head.
I’m stronger than the monster beneath your bed and
Smarter than the tricks played on your heart.
We’ll look at them together then we’ll take them apart.
Adding up the total of a love that’s true,

Multiply life by the power of two.

No comments: