Monday, June 18, 2007

Starbucks and The Message of Jesus

Once again, I want to run a little Starbucks thinking at you, and see if we can open a dialogue. I'm tellin' ya, I ought to be on the payroll of those folks, as much as I toot their horn!

A recent cup of Sumatra (Michaela would tell you that it tastes "earthy") displayed "The Way I See It #233" which said,

I used to think that going to the jungle made my life an adventure. However, after years of unusual work in exotic places, I realize that it is not how far off I go or how deep into the forest I walk that gives my life meaning. I see that living life fully is what makes life - anyone's life, no matter where they do or do not go - an adventure.

~ Maria Fadiman
Geographer, ethnobotanist and National Geographic Emerging Explorer

Okay. My spider-sense goes off anytime I read things like "living life fully." I think phrases like that resonate within us because that is how we were "fearfully and wonderfully made" - to live a full, robust life. The problem with that is many (most?) of us can't even begin to tell you what a full life looks like, let alone claim to live one.

Why is this important? Jesus, in John 10:10 simply says, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." In saying this, Jesus paints a picture of what the Christian life should look like - it should be that which Maria Fadiman speaks of - an adventure, surpassing even exotic destinations or deep jungle exploration.

And yet - and here I pause - how many of our lives are like this? Are we dishonoring Christ by how we live in fear and apprehension? Are we far too content to just slide from one day into the next, letting moments of full life slip right through our hands? Are our dreams too small, if we even dream at all? Why don't we chase them? Why are there 42 year old people who can't begin to tell you what it is that they were made for?

So, what kind of life DID Jesus come to bring us? And better yet, how do we go about living that? Share a comment, 'cause I find myself with far more questions that answers these days, and I could use your help.

No comments: