Friday, January 05, 2007

The Way I See It #185


"A valuable lesson I've learned from making music is to never let anyone intimidate me. Every student, celebrity, CEO and math teacher in the world has experienced love, loneliness, fear and embarassment at some point. To understand this is to level an often very lopsided playing field."


~ Anna Nalick, singer-songwriter


I was sitting in the Bedford, IN Starbucks, sipping a Cinnamon Dolce Latte, as I watched my daughter Michaela and her friend Madison drinking their hot chocolates. What was so interesting to watch were their creations. They had pads of paper and began by designing clothes, and soon moved on to drawing the homes that they would live in with their families some day. Creativity was hanging heavy in the air, to be sure! Reading Anna Nalick's words led me to realize that neither of these two girls were intimidated, nor did they seem constrained in their drawing. They were "letting it fly" and to them, it was all good. No one was drawing boxes around them in an effort to constrain them. No one asked them to stay in the lines, because they were creating their own lines. My bud Guy Mundy is always pointing me back to Ralph Waldo Emerson, who speaks of a "mute music" that only some can hear. Two little girls were making music tonight, and didn't care if anyone but them heard it. It was a beautiful concert, and I was glad to have a front row seat.


But I thought a little deeper about the quote on my cup, and realized that love, loneliness, fear and embarassment are all parts of the human experience. We all share these things - and more - in common, on some level, at some time, to some degree. Nalick's consideration of this sharedness that we all experience helped her to create passionately. You can tell when people are doing that, I think. When their passions overflow, and can't be contained any longer, and manifest themselves in creativity. That is the magic of art I suppose.


I'm learning to see passionate creativity - the creativity that overflowed into Creation when God breathed - in His people. It's hard, because my first reaction is to typically not want to engage other people. But I can't be intimidated either, and must celebrate what makes them "them." And in doing so, maybe I will be making some mute music, and maybe it will be a concert played before a God who finds great joy in the fusion of the physical and the spiritual that I am becoming.


That's The Way I See It, anyway.

1 comment:

*.* said...

Creativity Scares A LOT of People
For the most part we wnat to be told what to do and how to do it. Or we want to be on the other end and the orchestration. When we run into a person or concept or "thing" that does not fit... it gets under our skin. Now the part that really weirds folks out is that this is how God is. He will not be defined by anything we can conceive of. To me God is creation, creativity, passion, love, joy; things we have trouble getting hold of. Personally I live in a wordl torn between the 2 extremes. I'm married to a very type A woamn who wants it all planned down to a "T". Me... just let it happen. But on the other hand... I have that trait ot a degree. As an artist I used to think inside a pretty defined box. That changed thanks to some pretty kewl folks in college. Thankfully I have some pretty kewl friends around me who are helping me to understand God and how he relates to that part of me. Life is an expression of God's joy, passion and love in each one of us. It just gets out differently in all of us. The challenge is figuring out how to let God have His way with us. Nice post. May God bless you and yours.