Friday, March 09, 2007

The Vineyard of Souls

Love has three and only three intimacies: speech, vision, and touch. These three intimacies God has chosen to make his love intelligible to our poor hearts. God has spoken: He told us that he loves us: That is Revelation. God has been seen: That is the Incarnation. God has touched us by his grace: That is Redemption. Well indeed, therefore, may he say: "What more could I do for my vineyard than I have done? What other proof could I give of my love than to exhaust myself in the intimacies of love? What else could I do to show that my own Sacred Heart is not less generous than your own?"

If we answer these questions aright, then we will begin to repay love with love . . . Then we will return speech with speech which will be our prayer; vision with vision which will be our faith; touch with touch which will be our communion.

~ Fulton J. Sheen, The Eternal Galilean

No comments: