Wednesday, March 12, 2008

1 Peter 3

This morning, I was reading from 1 Peter 3 in The Message version. Verse 8 begins with the words “summing up.” I’ve learned over the years to pay really close attention to passages of scripture that begin like that, or with “therefore” or things like that – those are signals of summation where the writer is declaring, “Hey, dude. I’m about to boil all of this down, so pay attention.” At least I imagine Peter calling me dude. Anyway.

I was challenged in my reading to ask how often am I a blessing, really. Because I was a little iffy on how I responded to my own question, I dug into the word “blessing” a bit. And what I found was interesting, on several levels. First, the word originates from Old English blētsian, from blōd blood; from the use of blood in consecration. To consecrate is to dedicate to a sacred purpose. That pushed me to think of OT sacrifices, and the blood that would literally run off the altar. OT sacrifices made me think of Jesus – the one sacrificed for all. And his blood, shed for me, consecrates me for a sacred purpose when I yield my life to God.

So, now my question is this – how often do I fulfill my sacred purpose, that is God-ordained (Ephesians 2:10)? When I do that – when I live out of my sense of purpose – then I will be a blessing to others.

Here is a key point to remember from the text: “Be ready to speak up and tell anyone who asks why you're living the way you are, and always with the utmost courtesy.” Maybe that’s the greatest blessing I can share with someone. In hearing my story, maybe theirs will end differently. Maybe they will yield to Christ and be consecrated by his blood. And then they can bless others as well. Maybe, if I am ready to speak up.

The last thing that hit me this morning was this: there is a difference between suffering and punishment. Let that verse soak in and see what you think. Maybe that verse will affect how we view life, and how we respond to what each new day holds. I’d be up for discussing your $0.02 on suffering and punishment.

To give 1 Peter 3 a read, click here.

No comments: