Tuesday, April 08, 2008

From Haiti: #3

Another email update from my friend Heather's mission trip to Haiti.

Well men, almost home... no more work for us today... We went to Mother Theresa's orphanage today. Yes, THAT Mother Theresa's. Incredible... I held and fed a little boy who I guessed at about 18 months. He was able to sit up independently, and pull up to the cribside and walk around... but he weighed in at around 15 pounds. He was like a little stick doll. Our cats weigh more than he did. I had to be so very careful when I held him because his bones were so very tiny. I actually never made it into most of the orphanage, because his was the first room I saw and he looked me in the eye. I was hooked from then on. He was so lifeless and listless. He wouldn't smile, he wouldn't make any noise... he did passively hold his hands up to me to be picked up when I reached for him. He did wrap his arms around my neck when I held/cuddled him, but that was really the only response he made... until I needed to leave, and laid him down in the crib, which he shared with another boy, by the way... when i laid him down, big tears welled up in his eyes, and he started to sob, reaching for me... dont misunderstand me. They were all fed, clean, and provided with medical care. Some of them even had their mothers come visit, for the ones whose Mothers dropped them off are allowed to have an hourly visit a day from Mom or Dad. He, however, was abandoned, and while the nuns do the best they can, the needs are so vast, they dont have time to hold, cuddle, or interact with them much. He did not want to be put down... He cried for me, a total stranger.... he expected so little from life... but, I have to remember, he is one of the lucky ones in Haiti... Haiti is really more than I can describe. The sights, smells, and the people... as little as they have, and most have nothing, they have so much dignity, and they have the ability to laugh at us, the silly Americans. The kids and I were up on the rooftop out in the bad part of town one day... and the boys were determinedly trying to crack open a green coconut with a rock. Before it was over, most of the neighborhood was gathered around, pointing and looking up at us, grinning and laughing at us... who needs a movie when you can laugh at silly Americans? :) We were cheap entertainment... Anyway, I need to trot off... I love you and will see you sometime Monday... Yo Momma...

No comments: