Monday, November 19, 2007

Thinking About "Into the Wild"


On November 6, I posted about a movie that I intended to see called Into the Wild. That Friday night, me, Jacob, Graham Hardman, and Guy Mundy were all able to road trip to Bloomington and take it in.

Before I say anything else, I want to say this: Go see this movie now. Tonight. It's hard to find, for reasons I can't understand. It was released on Sept. 21, but didn't come to Bloomington until November. Crazy. In my humble opinion, movies that are based on a book rarely do it justice, and usually disappoint in comparison. Not in this case. I finished the book the afternoon that we saw the movie, and I can honestly say that the movie not only does the book justice, but really enhances it. I do recommend reading the book first, because I think you will appreciate it more as you see scenes from the book come to life. As director, Sean Penn nailed it, I'm tellin' ya.

We saw the movie on Nov. 9. Today is Nov. 19. And I'm still thinking about all that I saw and read about. That is the sign of a powerful movie, that it affects me long after the casual chat on the drive home. So, go see this movie!

Over the next couple of days, I'll be sharing a few of the thoughts that have grown out of this movie. Be warned that you may get at least glimpses into stuff that happened in the movie. But the power of this movie is how God is using it to lead me into thoughts of intimacy, Old Testament sacrifice, and community. Curious?

No comments: