Friday, December 12, 2008

Thomas Merton Remembered


December 10 was the 40th anniversary of the death of Thomas Merton. Few have taught more eloquently or deeply on the essence of "love" than he. His autobiography, The Seven Story Mountain, is a classic, and has been life-changing for many, including me. I still return to books that he wrote, and continue to find that they challenge me. Much has been written about Merton, and deservedly so - he was an enigmatic figure who struggled mightily to live for God in a fleshly body. I think that is the biggest reason why I enjoy his writings so much.

The Courier Journal ran two pieces (one and two) in last Sunday's paper in honor of the anniversary this week. In the article "The Monk Poet's Journey Toward Silence" is this quote:

"What do I really want to do?" Merton asked himself, in his journal (June 21, 1959). "Long hours of quiet in the woods, reading a little, meditating a lot, walking up and down in the pine needles in bare feet."

No comments: