Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The Difference One Man Can Make


I’ve let the fuss die down a bit before I make this post. Just about anybody and everybody around here has had blue on the past few days, and Colts fever has been at an all time high. Now, I can declare what we all know: The Indianapolis Colts are the Super Bowl Champions!

To me, there is one guy who enabled the Colts to make this run to the championship. As you might expect, Peyton Manning won the Super Bowl MVP award (which is a crime, if you watched Dominic Rhodes eat up yards and clock in the second half). But Peyton, or even Dominic, is not the guy that I think you can point to and say, “He made a difference.”

That guy is Bob Sanders. #21 missed 12 games this year, and the defense was crippled without him. The run defense especially became something other teams couldn’t wait to match up against. The entire NFL knew that Indy was going to score some points, but they also knew that the Colts defense was going to allow the opposition to stay in the game. That put a lot of pressure on Peyton & Co. and it showed down the stretch as they seemingly fell apart.

Enter Sanders. Against the Chiefs, he was healthy enough to make a start when he was needed the most, in the playoffs. The Colts responded by shutting down Larry Johnson, one of the best backs in the league not named LT. From there, Sanders threw his body around the field, infecting the rest of the defense with his hard-nosed attitude and smash-mouth style, and the Colts went on the beat up a physical Ravens team, and finally clear the hurdle known as the Patriots to make their appearance in the ultimate game that we now know they won. Sanders had a pick in the second half, giving Rhodes a chance to ice the game on the ground.

Colts 29, Bears 17.

One man can make a huge difference, even in a team game like football.

As I’ve thought a bit about Sanders this week, I’ve wondered about my church. We are in the early stages of searching for a Lead Pastor. I am praying for this man, even though I don’t know who he is. I’m banking on the fact that God knows him, and is even now preparing him to lead our church. And I’m anxious to see how this man will take our church – our team, if you will – and infect us with his vision for what God is calling us to be. I trust that when God leads us to his man, that the difference he makes will allow us to change the world, starting right here in Mitchell, Indiana.

Up, ready, break!

No comments: