Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Way I See It #193


"Let's imagine a 21st century America where families, friends and neighbors gather together at the end of each day in parks and town squares and on street corners and porches, to tell stories and jokes, to sing and dance with wild abandon! I can see and hear it now . . ."

~ Dan Zanes, musician

If I was a betting man, I'd betcha that Dan Zanes is a Christian. I mean, if you think about, in just one long sentence using a handful of words, he's described the Kingdom. He asks us to imagine what community - true community - might look like. Over all that Zanes is describing, there is a sense of rhythm; without it, his image breaks down. Seeing words like those on this particular Starbucks cup are becoming common for me, as I truly feel that God is leading me to a much-needed awareness and understanding of what it means to live my life in harmony with his plans and purposes for me.

Maybe I can do my part to usher in the community life that Dan describes if I will live out these words of Thomas Merton:

The fact remains that we are invited to forget ourselves on purpose, cast our awful solemnity to the wind and join in the general Dance.

No comments: