Wednesday, January 23, 2008

How to Listen to a Sermon


A long time ago, I heard Dr. Charles Carter, then pastor of Shades Mountain Baptist Church in Birmingham, AL, give a message entitled "How to Listen to a Sermon." I remembered what Dr. Carter said, when some friends and I were talking recently about getting everything out of the Sunday teaching that God intended. So here is Dr. Carter's 4 point "How To" along with some thoughts that I'm throwing out at 'cha as well.

Let It In - Am I open to hearing a Word from the Lord? Am I attentive? Am I fully present? Some things related to this include: Getting a good night's rest on Saturday (no Halo after 11 pm); try to not to fight as a family on Sunday morning (is it just me, or is that the prime time for arguments at our homes?); have I asked God to give me "ears to hear?"; have I prayed for the worship service beforehand?

Write It Down - Take notes; write down texts that are used. Listen for the Holy Spirit to bring thoughts/questions to your mind, and capture them before they float away. It's really a matter of engaging the teaching mentally. Here is a link to a picture of Edgar Dale's Cone of Learning - everyone involved in disciple-making should be exposed to this idea, and integrate it into how they teach. I do realize that writing down information is only slightly better than simply hearing it, but it is better.

Think It Over - Test what was said! Check out the Scriptures that were taught from with your family on Sunday night. Meditate (chew on) the application from the teaching - how will Jesus' words show up in your life? Pray! Pray some more! Really, most of us need to rediscover the idea that prayer and bible study are intimately related. Be still with God and allow Him to teach you. Take your questions to your Small Group for discussion; allow iron to sharpen iron.

Live It Out - Now, Dale's Cone bears the most fruit! When we "learn by doing" we retain 90% of what we were taught, even after 2 weeks. The essence of discipleship is understanding that how we live out the teachings of Jesus are outward demonstrations of the inward transformation that is taking place in our hearts. May you live abundantly as you live for the King!

So there it is: Let it in, write it down, think it over and live it out. I'm ready to start changing our world, and to do so, I need to follow my Rabbi, one teaching at a time. If you're up for it, I'll see you Sunday at Tulip Street.

No comments: