Monday, May 12, 2008

Beautiful Afternoon

The sky this afternoon is one of those blues that you just know can't be recreated ~ it's just so blue that no other blue can ever match it. Know what I mean? I came home from a busy day at the lab, and swung my leg over my bicycle and rode my usual "lap" around the country roads. After finishing my ride, I did my arm routine, in hopes of keeping a little tone in these 43 year old muscles. That was followed by a shower and fresh clothes.

Michaela and I decided that pasta topped with yellow squash and zucchini from our freezer would be a great healthy supper. Sis chopped fresh garlic and got everything going. I grabbed my book bag and sat on the porch, listening, thinking, reading, writing . . . and just simply considering what a beautiful afternoon it really was. In so many ways, life is amazing, isn't it? I hope you saw that lived out in your own life today. I really do.

After some moments just being still, I grabbed my Bible and turned to a passage in Psalms that a friend encouraged me to look at. The treasure of the day, though, was reading on in Psalms to discover this amazing reality: "He rescued me, because He delighted in me." (Psalm 18:19b)

Let that wash over you. I'm still sitting on my porch, with that satisfied feeling that comes after working out. Birds are reminding me that last weekend's cold rain can't hold off Spring. The afternoon sky is still blue. And as wonderful as all of that is - as beautiful as this afternoon really is - all of that pales in comparison to the staggering truth that God delights in me.

And He delights in you, too.

Amazing.

No comments: