Monday, September 15, 2008

Lessons from the Rock: Don't Over-Analyze

Many times when we act, our act requires faith. Don't over-analyze; understand that at some point, the only remaining option is action. Avoid "paralysis by analysis."

Sometimes, our acts of faith bring rewards that we can't see. When I swung off the rock face and found the hidden rung with my foot, I was rewarded with my favorite part of the climb. If I hadn't acted, I would have missed out.

The writer of Hebrews tells us that "faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." I knew that there was a foot hold on the rock face for me to use. But it was "not seen." Maybe the next time I sense God tugging me down a path of action, I won't ask to know every detail or to see the whole picture before I move. Maybe I can trust with a deeper sense of conviction and greater measure of faith, because God used the ledge of a rock and a piece of rebar to strengthen my faith in His truth.

No comments: