Friday, September 12, 2008

Lessons from the Rock: Introduction


Typically, heights make my (as Borat would say) "anoose" tingle. I'm not comfortable there and just don't like the whole deal of being up high. And yet, last Saturday morning, I found myself being the first person from TSCC on the rock at Torrent Falls. That was significant to me, for the rest of the day. Being first, I had no one to coach me or share what they'd learned to help me out when I would come face to face with a particularly challenging spot on the rock. So it was just me.

Usually, I analyze. A lot. But there were places - one in particular - that broke me of that a bit. There was a transition point where we went from walking on a ledge, to swinging down off the ledge onto rebar rungs. Except that the rock was not vertical; the ledge extended beyond the vertical face of the rock, which ran back under the ledge a bit. So I couldn't see the rung that my foot was to (had to!) hit. I tried three or four ways to make the transition, and kinda panicked a little. Thoughts of "Now what do I do?" all the way to "I can't hold everyone up!" to "I'm scared, pretty freaked out, and may crap my pants right here."

Finally, I simply had the thought to just step out and go for it. I don't know if I subconsciously remembered that I was double-clipped to the cable, or what, but I remember thinking "take a step of faith." So, I grabbed a solid hand-hold, swung off the rock, found the foot-hold and was treated to my favorite section of the climb.

I learned a lot last Saturday from a rock. A learned about analysis, rhythm, trust, safety, connection, being hurt, bravery, fear and courage. Over the next few days, I hope to be able to share those lessons with you - most, but not all, stem from the step of faith that I shared this morning.

Until then . . . Peace.

No comments: