Thursday, September 18, 2008

Lessons from the Rock: Rhythm

Clip in. Reach. Step up. Slide your clips. Repeat.

I was amazed at how the rhythm of the climb - clip in, reach, step, slide your clips - gave me comfort. There really wasn't much time to be scared - except, of course, at those points of really difficult transisiton where over-analysis kicked in! Focusing on the task at hand kept me from worrying about how high I was off the ground. What typically would have had me in a scared panic went almost un-noticed.

On the van ride home, I thought about the rhythm of life in Jesus. I'm not talking about the "since it's Sunday it must be my day to go to church" kind of stuff. I'm talking about the spiritual disciplines, especially prayer, reading Scripture and solitude. When I practice those things regularly in my life, there is a very real sense of my worries melting away. That's not to say that issues in my life just cease to exist - they're still there. But when I am connecting to Jesus by meeting Him in the thin silence, I am more aware that He is sovereign over my life, and the trappings of this world seem to quiet down a bit.

Ultimately - and I'm not there yet, though this is my desire - I want to simply be about prayer as simply as breathing in and breathing out. Without conscious effort, I want to be about the things of Jesus. May this rhythm become the music of my life.

No comments: