Monday, September 22, 2008

Lessons from the Rock: Trust Your Equipment

Before hitting the main rock face, we all had to demonstrate that we had listened to the training provided by the Outfitter by navigating a small section of practice rock. Before we were allowed to continue the climb, we had to test our harness and rest strap to be sure that they worked properly. Later, on the advanced section of the rock, Jacob and Guy came to a point on the climb where their arms began to feel like rubber, so they clipped in with their rest strap and leaned back to rest. This all sounds well and good until you remember that they are over a hundred feet in the air, hanging by a rest strap (which we were assured had a 3000 lb load capacity). For me, on the floor of the canyon, it was really difficult to watch my son hanging like that. What I didn't know is that while they were resting, Jacob was a little wigged out as well, and Guy reminded him of this truth: They had properly outfitted, good quality gear that was securing them to the rock. After hearing Guy's encouragement, Jacob was able to relax, trust his equipment, and rest.

In times of stress, loneliness, panic, and unforeseen emergencies - in those times when life hits us hard and fast - do I trust my equipment? I can pray to God at any time, from any place. Do I trust that God will hear? I can turn to the truth and wisdom of Scripture for guidance and comfort. Do I trust the meaning and relevance of those words to my life? I can allow another brother to help shoulder my load when the burden becomes too heavy. Do I believe that there is a person in my life who would care enough about me to "be there?"

There comes a point where belief is confirmed by action. I think that Jacob believed that the strap would hold him, but he wasn't sure of that until he clipped in and leaned back. May I learn from his example, as I grow to trust more fully when I pray, meet God in His Word, and live in community.

No comments: