Friday, August 24, 2007

Hurley, Three Dog Night, and Hope

The Collins' are addicted to LOST. The addiction really hasn't been a gradual thing, slowly building over the past three seasons of the show's airing on ABC. No, thanks to the generosity of Niek and Heidi Klein Kromhof, we've crammed 3 seasons of LOST into 3 months, making us more like crack addicts than simple popcorn munching TV watchers. It's sad when we draw the curtains to darken the room and huddle around a laptop with a 15" screen, elbowing for position, all because our DVD player is on the fritz. LOST is that good. But most of you probably know that - we're just late to the party, hosted by Jack, Kate, Sawyer and the gang. Anywho.

An episode in Season 3, entitled "Tricia Tanaka Is Dead" was a good one for me. Our large LOST friend Hurley ("dude") has a lot of stuff going on is his head (on this show, who doesn't, right?) - but something Hurley needs, maybe more than anything else, is HOPE.

And HOPE is found in a VW Van.

While I don't want to spoil the episode for you, I do want to say that something "clicked" for me when that van was flying down the hillside, about to slam into the rocks. Hurley whispers the words "Hope is never stupid", pops the clutch, accidentally knocks in an 8-track of Three Dog Night sending "Shambala" pumping through the old van, and . . . Hope is restored.

I suppose I'm typing all of this now, because I've been reminded of several things by LOST. One, is that God is big enough to use anything He wants to speak to me. Am I listening? Am I looking for him in the everyday? Am I really? Jesus speaks often of those who have ears to hear and eyes to see. It's for sure that He uses a bizarre, captivating TV show all the time in my life! May I not limit the ways in which I am open to God to pull me closer.

A second thing is that some songs just make you happy. Does that sound silly? Do you know what I mean? Some call them driving songs or road trip tunes. I prefer the term "porch music." At any rate, there are some songs that you're just really glad you heard them when you did. And for me, "Shambala" was one of those songs. [Editors note: PLEASE don't bring me down with comments about all the Buddhist stuff swirling around that song and how it's infiltrating my brain each time I hear it . . . please don't. Just dig the song, man. Just dig the song. Isn't God bigger than Buddha?]

Lastly, I am reminded of the human need for HOPE, and how that HOPE is ultimately manifest in the person of Jesus Christ. Hurley needed hope, and when he found it, it set him free. My prayer, as I consider the continual need in my life for hope, is that you too will be set free by seeking HOPE in Christ. I'll close with some words by the Apostle Paul.

So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter. Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word.
2 Thessalonians 2:15-17 (English Standard Version)

Enjoy the ride. Peace Out.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Somehow they pick just the right songs for that show, it's amazing...

Beginning of season 2, we see Desmond putting on a record and Cass Elliot sings "Make your own kind of music" - this song has really stuck with me and has really spoken to me (I guess that's the Island's way of talking to me).

Then beginning of season 3, we hear "Downtown" by Petula Clark and that song as well was spot on for that particular episode and somehow, for me at least, adds another layer to that song.

But as Hurley would say, "DUDE! What's the deal with Geronimo Jackson?" There's a Geronimo Jackson album in the Hatch... And somewhere in season 3 (I think) there's another reference to them...
http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Geronimo_Jackson