Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Anniversary of a Homeless Man's Passing


10 years ago today, Rich Mullins was killed in an automobile accident. I can't honestly tell you that I'm a huge fan of his music. There are a couple of his songs that just really resonate with me, but what I miss way more than his songs is his prophetic voice. And his was a voice not so much "heard" as "seen." [If you know much about Rich's admiration of St. Francis, and Francis's quote "Preach the Gospel always; if necessary, use words" then you'll know what I mean.] Rich's life still teaches me about discipleship. About simplicity. About loving well.

I miss Rich because my life needs - desperately - the things that he lived out in deeper, fuller measure. One of those songs that speak to me is Creed. As I get older and my journey with Christ begins to take on different dimensions, I am gladdened to see that I am continuing to have my eyes opened to what it means to be called "Christ Follower." I am, after many years of claiming the name of Christ, just beginning to learn about what it means to have God be the potter and me be the clay. May I be made into what God needs me to be, to be used as he sees fit. May I be able to sing Rich's words with the voice of my life:
I believe what I believe is what makes me
what I am.

I did not make it, no, it is making
me.

It is the very truth of God and not the
invention of any man.

If you find yourself wanting to learn more about Rich and how he followed Christ, I suggest this book.

No comments: