Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Pattern of the Psalms


For some time now, I’ve been working my way through The Message, starting at Genesis 1:1 and rocking on from there. Recently, I read Psalm 22. While you can learn much about Christ’s foreshadowed death in that Psalm, what struck me hardest was the pattern of intense crying out to God – intense anguish – and then a closing movement where the Psalm concludes with a burst of hope and praise; it's a pattern that is familiar to the Psalms in general, but on this morning, really just jumped off the page at me.

It’s almost as if hope and praise become expressions of the same thing – I suspect that might be true in that God is the source of our hope and the object of our praise. So for me, is God trying to point me to seeing that, yes – I am in a season of anguish over leading at my church – but that at the end of the day, I must have hope and offer it as a praise offering? Is it that simple?

Lord Jesus, as You will and as You know – AMEN.

No comments: